Our next assessment in our CAE group will be Speaking. The official Speaking Test for CAE is divided in 4 parts:
- Part 1: This first section of the CAE Speaking exam lasts about three minutes (five minutes for groups of three) and gives the examiner the chance to find out a little about you and your partner through some ‘getting-to-know-you’ questions. These will be simple questions to help ‘break the ice’, for example questions about your family, your studies, where you come from or what your interests are.
- Part 2: This second section of the CAE Speaking exam lasts about 4 minutes (six minutes for groups of three). Candidate A is passed a set of pictures and has to speak about the pictures without interruption, either from the examiner or their partner. When Candidate A has finished the examiner asks Candidate B to answer a brief question about the pictures. The roles are then reversed: Candidate B is given a different set of pictures and speaks for 1 minute followed by Candidate A, who answers a brief question about the pictures.
- Part 3: In this third section of the CAE Speaking exam, which lasts about four minutes (six minutes for groups of three), the examiner will ask you and your partner to talk about another set of visual prompts together.
- Part 4: In this last section of the CAE Speaking exam, which lasts about four minutes (six for groups of three), the examiner will join the discussion and ask candidates questions related to the visuals used in Part 3.
Our test due Thursday, June 26, will be in the format of Part 2 of the CAE Speaking exam.
Take a look at the criteria used to assess Part 2 of the Speaking exam:
- Grammatical Resource (variety of grammatical structures)
- Lexical Resource (vocabulary)
- Discourse Management (use of fillers and fluency when speaking)
Take a look at the following video sample. Use the document “Do’s and Don’ts for CAE Speaking” below and decide which statements are or aren’t well represented by the candidates in the video.
Useful tips for the CAE Speaking Paper: CLICK HERE